SwiNG is the Swiss National Grid Association and the official National Grid Initiative (NGI) of Switzerland.
National Grid Initiatives or Infrastructures (NGIs) are organisations set up by individual countries to manage the computing resources they provide to the European e-Infrastructure (EGI). NGIs are EGI’s main stakeholders, together with CERN and EMBL, two European Intergovernmental Research Organisations (EIROs).European Grid Initiative
Each NGIs contributes a number of sites to the grid infrastructure. NGIs are responsible for the maintenance and running of the sites they operate.
In particular SwiNG’s mission is to:
- Ensure competitiveness of Swiss science, education and industry by creating value through resource sharing.
- Establish and coordinate a sustainable Swiss Grid infrastructure as a dynamic network of resources across different locations and administrative domains.
- Provide a platform for interdisciplinary collaboration to leverage the Swiss Grid activities, supporting end-users, researchers, education centers, resource providers and industry.
- Represent the interests of the national Grid community towards other national and international bodies.
It offer the following services to researchers and research groups:
- Scientific applications
- Seminars and Training
- Events / seminars
- Engagement with Funding Agencies
As well as connecting research and industry partners with IT providers across Switzerland.
Withing SwiNG developed a couple of use cases. The first was related to the integration of volunteering computing with the “classical” computational infrastructure. The second integrated high level malware (workflow) into the Grid user interface in order to achieve proper optimization of the processes. In particular we created a wrap interface around the NorduGrid UI in order to offer API access to the computational facility.
Some relevant publications includes:
- This is work in progress, just look at the full list of publication here
If this is not the research project that you are looking for, at this link you can see the full list of projects