I regularly receive request to readers, students, bloggers and practitioners for guest post. In order to fulfill these requests I decided to purchase a domain “thesis-proposal.com” and offer to everybody a (free) place where share their opinions.
This turned out as a very fun adventure in the world of “second hands domain”. I purchase it in 2021 without notice that in 2008 that very same domain has been subject to a litigation. As follow up google remove the entire website from its indexing:
From the DMCA claim:
“Google must remove the Specified Websites from the Google search index pending further Court Order, and WHEREAS, Google and SNR have agreed to limit Google’s compliance with the Order to removal of the Specified Websites from its search index;
NOW, THEREFORE, it is stipulated by Google and SNR, and ORDERED by the Court:
1. Google shall promptly remove the Specified Websites from its search index pending further Court Order;
2. If subsequently added to the list of Specified Websites found by the Court to be unlawful in a modification the Court’s Order, Google shall remove the following additional websites from its search index pending further Court Order; ….
As the entire website was removed (and not a single page as most of the time happen in these situations) the legal costs of repristinated the website will simply be greater then any beneficial. Consequently i decided to abandon this idea and add a 301 redirect to this page in case some would stumble upon that domain for any reason.
Clearly I am not affiliated in any way with the previous owners of the domain nor I was involved in anything that resulted in the ban of the entire domain from google.
Anyway, since you are here:
Let’s talk about Thesis and Proposal
Below you can find a set of links that may help you in
Writing your Research/Thesis Proposal:
- Take a moment to reflect to right approach for the challenge ahead.
- Mens sana in corpore sano: Take care of yourself, in particular do not neglect of your physical health
- Start from considering these tips for improving the quality of your proposal. They will help you in understanding how to think scientifically including if you do not have to write a research proposal.
- Check if you are aware of all the players around you thesis and what is their interest
- Understand how adopting good scientific practices can improve your grade.
If you already have a proposal tips number 3 is definitively the must read for your thesis proposal
Talking about your thesis here you can find more useful resources about
- Writing a scientific endeavor has is rules and best practices
- Look at these heuristics for understanding if a paper is worth reading or you should move forward to the next one.
- Understand how to select good venues (conference or journal) where you can search for good publication.
- Learn how to read a scientific paper faster and more effectively.
- Master the right features in MS-Word for handling the related work and managing the growing complexity of the task.
- Get more insights about related work, literature review and survey papers
The Experimental and Scientific Part
- Get an idea on “how to warm up your research engine” and do your first step.
- Get some inspiration from the work of other scientist and learn how to properly categorize the literature review.
- Familiarize with sources that can provide Data for your thesis.
- If you plan to write some programming code, get familiar with these best practices.
- If you plan to use a survey for scientific research you may want to consider these tips and suggestions.
Other Online Resources for Your Thesis
A bit of self-promotion here. I am curating a few guides with the aim of offering quick (but effective) tips and suggestions for delivering a good thesis. In particular, I would suggest you to look at:
- A curated set of articles for improving the various aspects of your thesis
- A curated set of articles for moving from “Script Programming” to Object Oriented Programming.
- My best advice for writing a Research/Thesis Proposal