The objective of Service Oriented Enterprise (SOE) is to present the principles and fundamental underpinnings of Web Services and Service Oriented Architectures (SOA). Special emphasis will be given to service definitions, service assembly, modeling, web services programming and design aspects of real-life applications in manufacturing. The course will examine the use of process and data integration techniques to develop SOA-based applications and help students illustrate and justify the use of analysis/design principles and guidelines in SOA application development solutions. Prior knowledge of databases and XML-programming is required.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Distinguish between the types, properties of services and best practices necessary for developing SOA-based applications and justify potential solutions;
- Explain the use of process and data integration techniques to develop SOA-based applications;
- Explain and justify the use of analysis/design principles and guidelines in SOA application development solutions;
- Design and appraise software services in terms of operational requirements and quality criteria for enterprises.
Content of Service Oriented Enterprise
A Service Oriented Enterprise (SOE) as an organization whose business processes and IT infrastructure are integrated across the entire enterprise to deliver on-demand services to customers, partners and suppliers. Service Oriented Architecture is a logical way of designing a complex, distributed software system by providing software services to either end-user applications or to other services distributed in the Internet, via published and discover-able interfaces.
This course covers the fundamental aspects and modelling of Web services and the development of applications on the basis of Service Oriented Architectures for enabling a Service Oriented Enterprise. In particular, it covers the following topics:
- Distributed Computing Overview;
- Describing Web Services and Business Processes;
- Introduction to Web services programming languages;
- Workflow Systems;
- Service Modelling;
- Service Design;
- Business Processes;
- Enterprise Service Bus;
- Introduction to Cloud Computing and Services.
Type of Exams
Written exam (100%) + Assignments (see specifics)
Course available for exchange students
Master Level, conditions apply
ISBN : 9780273732167
Title : Web Services & SOA: Principles and Technology
Author : M.P. Papazoglou
Publisher : Prentice Hall
Edition : 2
The 2nd edition is more recent and includes tips for exercises (which the first does not have). You are not obliged to buy the book as the course notes are quite detailed and the books contain material which are not used in this course.
Note: this class extend and complement the one of Business Process Integration