In this page you will find a collection of articles that can help you in understanding how to do a good thesis. This is currently a work in progress and more articles will follows. I will try to list them here in a way or an other. I divided the process of writing a thesis in 4 different phase. (i) What to do before starting. (ii) the related work and literature research; (iii) the experimental part and “(iv) the last mile” for driving the work to a conclusion and successful submission.
If the master or bachelor program at your university requires a thesis proposal you want to start from considering these tips for improving the quality of your proposal. If that is not the case you want to check if you are aware of all the players around you thesis and what is their interest. After that just move to the next section of this page.
How to do a good thesis: before you start.
- Ask yourself what you want to do when you will “grow up”. This article will help you understanding how you can take the most from your thesis for your future goals.
- (Optional) Get a grasp of what kind of mentor I am. It will help you in understanding what I write in these posts and/or if we are compatible in case you are considering pursuing your thesis with me.
- Set up the proper communication tools with your supervisor, so that you will have a better quality time with him/her.
How to do a good thesis: literature research and related work
- Look at these heuristics for understanding if a paper is worth reading or you should move forward to the next one.
- Understand how to select good venues (conference or journal) where you can search for good publication.
- Learn how to read a scientific paper faster and more effectively.
How to do a good thesis: the experimental and scientific part
- Get an idea on “how to warm up your research engine” and do your first step
- Get some inspiration from the work of other scientist and learn how to properly categorize the literature review
- <work in progress>
How to do a good thesis: the last mile
<work in progress>
The End Game
- Deal with the submission of your thesis and its defense in the proper way
- Understand what is Open Access and how you can make the most of it
- Consider the benefit (and the extra work) of publish your thesis. Is it worth it?
The End of the Journey
- Learn what the future of your thesis could be